Sunday, July 25, 2010

New contact information:

Tara and Brennan Van Loo
c/o Holden Village
HC 0 Box 2
Chelan, WA 98816

tbvanloo@gmail.com (Comcast has cancelled our account)


7/24/10

Would you like a tour of our home? I would be happy to show you around.





Our apartment is in a lodge called “Agape” and we are blessed to have a living-room view of the village below, as well as a small, private porch that is in a quiet area of the village (in the photo, the two windows on the left are our living room). The only creatures who walk by are folks on their way to hang their clothes out to dry on the village clothes line, and a number of deer who forage in the bushes nearby.

Life in the “Craft Cave” is one of endless inspiration! So far I have taught a few classes to guests: basketry, origami paper crane chains, needle-felted necklaces, print-making, and landscape watercolor.




I have woven a runner for our dresser and a rug for our apartment, and crocheted a handful of posies. I have also spent some time painting for pleasure. I am learning as much as I can about the looms and weaving while the current crafts coordinator is still here at Holden with me. I’m learning how to post work schedules (there are five of us working in the craft cave), how to order arts and craft supplies, and how to create programming for craft classes each week. My learning curve is great, but I still pinch myself when I realize what a gift it is to be here!!



Usually when Brennan and I go hiking, we have to drive over an hour to get to the trailhead in the North Cascades. Here at Holden, we basically walk out our door with our hiking poles in hand, and begin hiking. Two weeks ago we hiked Martin Ridge. Last Sunday we went up to Copper Basin and spent the afternoon reading, painting, and drawing (a bit more restful than Martin Ridge!) This weekend Brennan is hiking on the other side of Lake Chelan, from Stehiken to Prince Creek, with a friend. I am spending time in the sunshine, hanging our fresh laundry out to dry, and baking a cake with a friend.

My favorite times of worship are singing Morning Prayer on Sundays and "Compline," evening prayer, on Thursday nights at 10:00. Both of these services frame my days in a way of worship that I haven't experience before, inviting God's presence in the coming day and thanking God at the end of it.

So many new experiences. I’d be lying if I said there haven’t been times of loneliness. But God is faithful to provide for each day its daily bread.

-Tara

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” -Victor Hugo

1 comment:

  1. Love the post Tara! I enjoy keeping up on things and pray that you both are well. It sounds like you are really enjoying it and appreciating how God works in this place. I love it! I already miss you but am looking forward to seeing you next month. Do you have a place to stay while you are here to teach our GLAD class? We've got a great bonus room!
    Jnet

    ReplyDelete