Sunday, September 22, 2013

hanging out around b/quilla

hi folks,

It has been a long while since I've written, but I have to say, Brennan does a lovely job representing our experience.  We've spent the past month or so in and around Barranquilla, venturing out of town on the weekends to a nearby beach here, or a park there, and spending quality time pool-side in order to beat the heat. So I thought I'd post a few pics to give you a taste for the past month, Barranquilla-style.

For my first project in both 7th and 8th grade English this year, students created an 8x8" quilt square, and chose five numbers that represented who they are, and what they value and love. Each number, whether a fraction, date, percentage, whole number, etc., was accompained by an image. The project was entitled "Me: In Numbers." These quilt squares now plaster the front of my classroom as a giant "quilt."





Here's my example. Can you guess what my numbers represent?

So now I give you "September: In Numbers." A picture of our past month in and around Barranquilla.

5:18am
The approximate time I roll out of bed on a school day. 5:15 and I will end up with a little extra time; 5:32 and I'll be rushing. B is already up by then, and has faithfully delivered my morning coffee. He's usually on the porch, watching the sunrise and reading/knitting. Sometimes, on a clear morning, we can see the distant Sierra Nevada range. That's a treat.

601
Our apartment number. Being on the 6th floor gives us two great gifts: views, and breezes. And, our apartment number is fun because when I look at the address plaque on our door I begin to sing from Les Miserables...(Javert: "Now, Prisoner 2-4-6-0-1, your time is up and your parole's begun..."). Sometimes it's in my head. Other times it is out loud. Poor Brennan.

2002 
Our little girl, the cutest little Renault Twingo you've ever seen!!! On one occasion we packed six teachers into this tiny car. We probably won't do that again... Side note. Don't you think that if you cross a twinkie and a pringle, the word you create resembles Twingo??? The rest of the carpool thought that was a stretch.

11km
Parque Nacional Isla Via Salamanca is 11km outside of the city. This is newly-discovered- WONDERFUL news for outdoorsy folks like us who live in the city and now own a car. We visited yesterday for the first time, and got a tour through the mangroves from our trusty guides. Brennan spotted some new birds, and we saw a boa constrictor napping in a distant tree. Thank GOD it was a distant tree.

100%
Every time we drive in Barranquilla, we either get behind, or have to pull around, a horse or donkey-drawn cart, usually carrying used tech equipment or fruits and veggies. It always reminds me how close the traditional and progressive ways interact/ crash/ mingle/ converge/ struggle here in our city. It's a vivid metaphor.


9/2004
That's when me and this guy had our last "DTR" (for which he was very grateful). I remember exactly where we were: sitting in the kitchen of the "Center for Spiritual Formation" at Northwestern College, making cupcakes late at night. After our summer apart (he was in Montana that summer) I needed a little more time to make sure I wanted to be more than just friends...and that September night, I said YES to "us." From there, the rest is history!

Now here we are, two best friends on a crazy journey. Living these moments in Colombia, with the promise of some farmland to come home to in the valley we love. I am grateful.

Of course our Colombian journey has been a roller coaster, and these fun pics don't represent the blue times. But all of the bright and the blue moments add up to our life here, and I want to live it fully while it is mine to live. That's why these pics of our city are important. They capture the here and now, for what it really is. You could say quote this has been my theme through all of our seasons (figuratively) here:

"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." -Robert Brault

That's probably the best piece of advice I've picked up from Good Housekeeping magazine, and possibly the best advice I ever will. I plan to hold onto that one. Maybe you will too.

La paz del Senor este ustedes,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment