Sunday, October 27, 2013

Far from fall

Sunday Morning, Tara looks out the window, “its sunny and bright” a dejected tone in her voice and on her face.  Our bodies and spirits have been awaiting a change in seasons that will not come.  We are far from fall.  Yesterday it rained.  Dark cloudy skies, drizzles and down pours. The weather imposed a quiet mood on the city, and gifted us with pieces of fall; submission to the weather, contentment, happiness, and time.   Time to enjoy this place without having to shelter from the heat and humidity.  Time to read and write poetry of a very low quality; knit and nap to the soft percussions of precipitation. We have not had a better day at this apartment than that.


As I follow the Western Washington weather with it’s dropping temperatures, falling rain and decreasing daylight I miss that place, the temperate climate.  However I can find consolation in one key benefit of living in the forever hot tropics, it is the end of October and I have Tomatoes and Basil growing on my porch.  Back home at this time I would have to content myself with tomatoes picked green a day or two before the first frost, placed in paper bag with an apple supplying the ethylene that will hopefully ripen them to a state where a passable sauce can be made.  Here, I am 2-3 weeks from the first red fruit that will go from vine to hand to mouth, dripping juice through a smile of satisfaction.  A true taste of summer in this eternal summer.


Hope

Another tomato flower

First Fruits

Avocado, Basil, Tomato
Double rainbow over the Rio Magdalena

No comments:

Post a Comment