Four new moons
have past since my last post. Writing well for me takes mental and creative
energy that I generally lack here, and when I force myself to write, it turns
out very poorly. So here is a quick list of potential posts that never fully
fledged in the past few months.
- Power plays are only fun in hockey – Reflections on paying my first bribe
- Why I am voting yes on I-522 and why supporters of GMO technology should too.
- A retrospective on my 20s: 10 transformative years from College to Colombia
And here are
few pieces of life worth highlighting from the past months
-Went to the
jungles of Minca for my 30th Birthday, increased my Colombian bird
count from 89 to 120, ate a wonderful chocolate chili steak!
-Kept working
on my Spanish with Rosetta Stone
-Finished the
first semester on December 13 at noon.
7 hours later we were in Bogota on a bus beginning a 12 hour ride to
Parque Nacional El Cocuy.
-Spent 5 days
enjoying the beauty, cool climate, clean air, friendly people, and magnificent
mountains of El Cocuy – Tara climbed her first mountain, 16,830’ Pan de Azucar. I’ll let the photo speak for her.
-The Bajema family came out for a week
to spend Christmas with us. We got
pulled over 4 times in the week they were here, and one traffic camera
ticket. We haven’t had any police
problems since then!
-Spent 10 days
touring and trekking through Colombia’s coffee region. Drank wonderful coffee, bought even
better coffee (that I am currently drinking!!) Increased Colombian bird count to 209.
-Made it
official, told our director that this is our last year at KCP. We are coming home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Watched the
Seahawks march through the playoffs and the streets of Seattle
-Currently I
am finishing up my Spanish work with Rosetta Stone, and taking a distance
learning course through SPU, ¨Teaching in the 21st Century; New
solutions to new problems. It
is a fantastic course that is giving me a lot to think about, and is improving
my teaching on a weekly basis
-Just finished
teaching a unit on the Nervous system to my 10th Grade Bio
students. It is the most fun I have
ever had teaching a unit. I had
students excitedly explaining to me how a neuron works, and that was the boring
part. It got really cool when we
read and discussed an article on the teenage brain, and another about alcohol
and the teenage brain. Even with
their prefrontal cortex’s still in development, these kids are so insightful
and they make teaching such a joy.
I even had fun correcting their tests with such questions as; Why are
teenagers much more prone to addiction than adults? Based on what you have learned of the adolescent brain, what
advice would you give to parents of teenagers?
Now that I am
caught up, maybe I can write something better…
![]() |
| Worlds biggest smile |

No comments:
Post a Comment